Treatment Patient Education
Explained by Physicians
Stage IIIA Lung Cancer
Lung Cancer : Brain Mets
Treatment Option #2
Lung Tumor Treatment
What is Lung Cancer?
Phoenix Cyberknife and Radiation Oncology Center
Lung cancer is the abnormal growth of cells in the lung resulting in a lung tumor. If the abnormal cells originated as lung cancer cells, the resulting collection of cells is called a primary lung cancer. If the abnormal cells originated in another part of the body, such as the colon or liver, and were carried to the lungs by the blood or other bodily fluids, then it is considered a metastatic lung tumor.1
More than 215,000 cases of primary lung cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in the United States in 2008. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women, and is expected to result in approximately 161,840 deaths – or about 29% of all cancer deaths – in the U.S. this year.2 About 13% of primary lung tumors are considered small cell carcinoma, which is treated with chemotherapy. Radiation is utilized if small cell lung cancer is localized to the chest. The remaining 87% of lung tumors are classified as non-small cell,2 which include squamous cell carcinoma, large cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma.
Location: PHOENIX | CYBERKNIFE AND RADIATION ONCOLOGY CENTER
4611 E. SHEA BLVD SUITE 120 PHOENIX | ARIZONA E 85028